Towns COVID-19 support
There is a significant amount of advice and support available for stakeholders in towns, high streets, city districts and communities to aid the reopening of businesses and sustainable recovery of local economies. The below ‘hub’ directory signposts to the main sources of support by sector or organisation type, through which you can access the information most relevant to you.
For more general information about policy, funding, toolkits and best practice for towns and high streets in Scotland, you can visit Scotland’s Towns Partnership’s “news and resources” website area, from where you can navigate to the section of interest.
RE-OPENING GUIDANCE AND INFORMATION
As guidance is constantly adapted to changing circumstances, make sure you check the Scottish Government’s guidance related to culture, events, retail, hospitality and tourism here.
Key guidance documents from Scottish Government (unless otherwise indicated) related to the re-opening of towns and high streets include:
- Guidance on Safer Public Spaces
- Guidance on Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders and Notices
- Retail Sector Guidance
- Guidance on Opening Public and Customer Toilets
- Coronavirus Tourism and Hospitality Sector Guidance
- Tourism and Hospitality Sector Statutory Guidance
- Scottish Government and VisitScotland Reopening Guides for Businesses
- Scottish Government and VisitScotland: Guidance on Preparing for Events
- BID Foundation: Working with local authorities on outdoor seating licencing
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on sport and leisure facilities
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): general guidance for safer workplaces
SCOTLAND LOVES LOCAL FUND
A £1 million ‘Scotland Loves Local Fund’ is currently providing grants of between £500 and £5,000 to local projects which improve and promote local places and communities.
The Scottish Government fund can include support for small scale local improvements that will help motivate people to shop, eat and relax within their community whilst ensuring public health safety. It can support localised responses in town and settlement centres, and community digital projects.
Grants can be put towards providing creating safer places for community residents and visitors, the installation of public health infrastructure such as protective screens, physical distancing markers, hand sanitising equipment and PPE.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 25th November. Read more here.
COVID-19-RELATED INFORMATION HUBS BY SECTOR
- Towns and High Streets: Scotland’s Towns Partnership Funding Finder [STP]; COVID-19 Support Directory for Towns and Improvement Districts [STP].
- Businesses in Scotland: FindBusinessSupport.gov.scot [Scottish Government]. See also:
- Third Sector and Community Organisations: Third-Sector Information Hub [Scottish Council of Voluntary Organisations]
- Cultural Heritage and Built Environment Organisations: BEFS Directory [Built Environment Forum Scotland]
- Self-Employed and Co-Working Spaces: The Crisis Directory [The Co-Working Library]
- Social Enterprises: Social Enterprise Scotland COVID-19 Resources [Social Enterprise Scotland]
- Creative Sector: COVID-19 Funding and Resource Directory [Creative Scotland]
- Tourism Sector: Support for the Tourism and Events Industries [VisitScotland]
- Improvement Districts: Resources and Materials Web Section [Scotland’s Improvement Districts]